Termination of rights

When you terminate a parent’s parental rights, you also terminate their obligations. That means they would no longer have a child support obligation.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks… That’s what I thought…

I have found a link that shows that FELONY assault of child or sibling is grounds for termination of parental rights in NC. I was wondering if it is possible to terminate rights but the other parent still have to pay support for the child. I have heard you can and I have heard you can’t get it. Thought I would ask so I would know for sure… :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your time in helping everyone that has questions.