Parents' rights and custody

Dear sam38:

Greetings. Yes, you can apply for the court to terminate your spouse’s parental rights. The deal here is that you will NEVER again be able to apply for child support! Consider this carefully before making a decision.

Of course you could just file and get sole custody. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been separated from my ex for 15 months. We have a child 18 mos. The father has never paid any kind of support to the child or has never had any contact with the child, since we separated. My question is this; In North Carolina is it correct to say that the parents’ rights can be taken away or do judges’ frown on this? Do you feel that I have a good chance of getting sole custody? I am filing for divorce shortly. [?]Thanks.