Child Support?


I gave my mother sole custody of my daughter, I have no parental rights therefore in the paperwork it states I do not have to pay child support, Can she go back on that and make me pay since I have no rights anymore?


As I understand it, you cannot simply sign away your parental rights - particularly for the purpose of avoiding a child support obligation. Parental rights have to be terminated by a court of law.


My understanding of the law per my attorney is… just because you have no parental rights in NC they can still make you pay child support except in the case of adoption. Even if the courts allow you, which they usually will not, give up your rights.


If your parental rights have been terminated you will not have a support obligation.


can my mother go back to court then make me pay Erin?


No, not if your parental rights have been terminated.