Parental Rights

Parental rights can only be taken by the courts and the courts do not do this lightly. They can be given up by the parent if there is someone to adopt but even then the courts approval is needed. If the mother has filed to terminate parental rights, there must be a reason. If you are paying child support, regardless of whether or not you have ever seen the child, I’m not sure that you can have those rights taken. Unless, there is someone willing to adopt the child.

You must continue paying child support until the court tells you that you can stop. Filing for termination of parental rights is not an OK to quit paying. If your rights are terminated, then yes you would stop paying child support.

Yes, he should continue paying child support. In order to proceed with termination proceedings she would have to first serve you with the paperwork. If you have not been served with anything chances are that nothing has been filed yet. I would make sure she knows your address and if you are really concerned you can contact the county where you live and the county where she lives and find out if anything has been filed.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

If a father is paying child support and papers are filed my mother to termintate parental rights that he is not aware of…Does he have to continue paying child support? If does not agree to terminate his partental rights, would does he need to do?