Transfer of Vehicle Title


If this question does not pertain to Family Law then, can you please point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking for to get the answer on this.

Thank you very much in advance for your help and undivided attention


Dear javaking66:

Greetings. Yes, you can have the car title transferred back to your name. In my opinion you will need to file an equitable distribution action and request an interim distribution from the court after you have served your husband (probably by publication).

You must file for equitable distribution prior to the divorce. Your rights to equitable distribution end at the time of the divorce. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My husband and myself are seperated for about 10 months now. I am going to file for divorce after 12 month requirement is met.

I hope that he is not going to contest for divorce as his whereabouts are not known. However, I bought a car for him when we were happily married. The title is in his name.

My questions are :

  1. How can I transfer the title to my name?
  2. Can I do it now or will I have to wait till the Decree of Divorce is issued?

Would be highly obliged if you can respond at your earliest convenience.

Thank you very much for your time.