Transfering Divorce Case From FL to NC


The first thing you will need to do is have your current court orders registered in North Carolina in the county where you will be living. This can be done by taking a certified true copy of your Florida court orders to the clerk of court, they will instruct you further once you present the Orders to them.

Once you, your ex, and the child have lived in North Carolina for 6 months North Carolina will become what is referred to as the child


I currently live in Florida and my ex-wife moved to NC 2 years ago. I am barely able to see my child because of this. I am moving to NC to be close so I can participate in my child’s life.

Our divorce was in Florida, but keeping the divorce document and child support formalities in FL doesn’t make sense with both of us residing in NC.

Can I transfer this case to NC? If so, what does it take to do so?


What if the ex and the child have lived here for 2 years and I just moved up here? Do I still need to wait the 6 months?


No. Since all of the parties are in state you do not have to wait 6 months.