Unofficial Change Court Order


Dear itsforthem:

Greetings. Have you ever heard the term “have your cake and eat it too?” Well, it sounds like that is what you want - to make a change to the court order without going back to court.

Here is my suggestion. Contact child support enforcement and determine how much he would have to pay if child support was set through them (if I were you, I would go ahead and get it set). This is extremely low cost. You can also look on line for our free child support calculator and see if that works for you.

Finally, you can change a court order by agreement or by order of the court. My suggestion is that you have the changed/revised order drafted and then negotiate the same with him if you are not going to retain an attorney or file a Motion to Modify. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My exhusband and me have a court order that says when and where we should meet to drop off our son and daughter. The order is a few years old and we change times whenever one of us needs to. Now he has moved and is a lot closer to the meeting place than I am. He doesn’t pay any child support and I still have to drive the same distance to the meeting place. I want to make a change but don’t want it to seem like I want to keep him from the kids (I never have before). What do I need to do to change this. I don’t want to have to go back to court for this. also we are in different counties. The order came from his county. Thank you