Vehicle ownership

If the vehicle is titled only in your name, it is yours. However, he may be entitled to some compensation for marital funds used to purchase the vehicle, repair it, or pay down the debt on it. If he is in an accident while driving it, you may have some liability, depending on your insurance policy. You should check with your insurance carrier.

Good luck,

Shonnese D. Stanback
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1534 direct voice
919.256.1667 direct fax
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I am sole owner of a motor vehicle which my parting husband says he can take possession. My question is, does he have a right to a vehicle solely owned and insured by me? Also, am I libel for an accident, etc. while he is driving it? I need an answer quickly.