Venue Change

I am not sure why you have to pay the transfer fees and is likely an issue related to Florida law. If the case has been transferred to the wrong county it may be transferred again, however, since there have already been delays and the case is in the correct state, the court may agree to hear it, even though it is in the wrong county. You should file another motion for contempt in North Carolina and contact the clerk in the county handling the case and ask about setting the motion on the calendar to be heard. In order to find out what the transfer fees are you will need to contact the county where the case is being transferred and the clerk.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I have not posted in a few weeks, but there was a change of venue awarded in my case to transfer my case from florida to NC. Now while my ex resides in Plymouth which I know is in washington county, she had asked the court to transfer the case to Beaufort county. The court agreed to this and signed the transfer order. I had sent a written and email response to the court letting them know that they are not transferring the case to the correct county. They do not seem to care. I received a letter from the clerk of the court if Florida yesterday stating that I needed to pay the appropriate transfer fees in order for the case to transfer venue. I had sent in a motion of contempt for her denying my christmas visitation with the kids. I have not heard back from the court. My questions are, Why do I have to pay the transfer fees if the case is being transferred to where she requested? What delays can I expect if the case is transferred to Beaufort county, and they figure out that the case is in the wrong county, will there be another transfer of venue and will I have to pay another fee. Do I need to refile my motion for contempt on a North Carolina legal form? How do I find out what the fees are to transfer a case to Beaufort County since I currently live in Tennessee?