I have a 10 year old son and have been divorced for 5 years. My ex and I never established a custody agreement in writing. I always had my son the normal every other weekend schedule for visitation and it seemed to work out well for both of us. We were both flexible with one another’s schedule and were able to work everything out verbally and never went to court or used attorneys to set custody. Recently, my job has transferred to Kansas. Before I left, we agreed verbally that my son could come to visit me in the summer and over long holiday weekends and that we would work out the rest as the time arose. The summer is here and I have contacted my ex about scheduling time for my son to visit, but my ex will not return my calls. What legal right do I have? What do I need to do to get visitation with my son? Thank you.

You will need to file suit in NC for custody and visitation and the court will seta schedule for your son to come visit with you.