Visitation!

Dear Josh:

Greetings. I would stick to the court order and only have yourself and your siblings at the visitations. I agree that your child should have some time to meet with your girlfriend before the child comes for overnights, so you may want to go and ask your spouse if she will allow your girlfriend also and modify the custody order by consent.

I do not have your court order in front of me, so I cannot evaluate whether or not bringing your girlfriend would be in violation of the court order or if your spouse can refuse your visitation due to your girlfriend. My advice is to play it safe. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you for your time.

This is a live-in girlfriend and she has two siblings. Someone over the weekend told me that live-ins boy/girlfriends are not permitted in NC. Is this true? My court order states only MY siblings can visit. I have to travel over two hours to see my child. My girlfriend wants to go with me. This means she will have to be dropped off at a shopping mall with her two siblings for three hours. This is crazy!

Do you think, if I bring her for visitation, that my spouse can call the law and I will not get my visits? Will this hurt me if I get charged with contempt whem we go back to court for the final hearing?

Sorry for ALL these questions. Thank you.

Dear Josh:

Greetings. Adultery is a crime in North Carolina.

Now, your girlfriend is not a party to your custody action. What she wants is irrelevant. You must make decisions based on the court order and your child’s best interests. It is clearly not in the interest of the minor child for you to take your girlfriend to visitation with you and cause a scene with your ex, so don’t do it.

Yes, it may happen that your spouse may call her local law enforcement agency and you may miss visitation, but the CONFLICT you create will certainly be the largest problem you have. Yes, I can see this backfiring on you when you go to court. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Hi:

I have supervised visitation for a certain amount of time with my child, due to temporary custody court orders. The order states I can bring MY siblings. My Question is; Can I also take my girlfriend? We live together and she has children. I would like for my child to get use to them before my child comes for overnight visits.

Would this be in contempt of court? If so, what could happen? Can my spouse legally refuse to let me see my child, if my girlfriend is along?

Thank you.