If the visits are not happening you can ask a court to hold the other parent in contempt for violation of the court order providing for visitation.

If you made the payments for the child support you should not be required to make the payments again. If the issue comes up you will need to show that you made the payments.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My x and I were divorced 7 years ago. I moved to Florida to find work, before she filed for divorce. I recently moved back to North Carolina and ahe has asked me to allow her husband to adopt our children. I do not want to do this. My children ages 11 and 12 say it is what they want. My new wife says they have been under my x’s influance for so long that they will do whatever they think she wants them to do. She thinks I should take some time to get to know my kids again before I consider consenting to the adoption. Right now I have open visitation but my x always finds and excuse for why the children can’t come visit.

Can my children just decide not to come for visits even if I get a set visitation schedule?

If I sent some of my child support payments via Western Union and did not save the receipts can I be made to make these payments again. They were made 7 years ago, right after the separation.