Waive Child Support?

Both parents have joint legal/physical custody. I receive child support that is written on record as the other parent’s payments are voluntary. I would like to offer other parent a “deal”… grant me full legal custody and filing our child as a dependent every year on my income tax return in exchange of waiving other parents’ child support payments and court ordered financial responsibility for half of extracurricular activities. My question is, do I have the authority to waive child support? I have not contacted our local CSE office because of the potential that other parent’s attorney would be informed of my call and I’d rather them not know that I am inquiring about this.

Yes, you can waive child support. However, these kinds of scenarios tend to not work out. The other parent is usually unwilling to give up custodial time, decision-making, etc., especially if that parent is represented.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.