What now?

Dear LetItBurn:

Greetings. First, make sure that your attorney cannot take your case with her. Next, you should not be in the custody process without an attorney. My advice is that you find an attorney that works on a fixed fee, so that you can save exactly how much you need.

Yes, if your spouse is not paying child support you can go through the North Carolina Child Support Agency.

Finally, when you are speaking about divorce, do you really mean the equitable distribution and alimony? Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Janet,

First, thank you for responding. My attorney can only take my case with her if I pay another retainer at her new firm. I cannot do that. I have already paid out thousands of dollars & have gotten nothing for it. She worked hard, but my ex’s lawyer stalled us at all avenues.

As far as custody, that issue is taken care of with our parenting agreement that is now in force as a court order in Gaston County.

As for the divorce issue, can I proceed through equitable distribution without a lawyer? There is no issue with alimony so I don’t know what else we’d go for besides that equitable distribution & then getting the divorce at the end of our 1 yr separation.

Are there any lawyers that work for a flat fee? Mine was supposed to be a flat fee for a separation agreement, but my ex’s lawyer filed papers with the court & so that took me out of flat fee because there was a possibility of court.

Thanks again

Dear LetItBurn:

Greetings. While we are working in Mecklenburg and Wake Counties for flat fees, I do not know other attorneys doing the same in other counties.

What types of marital property do the two of you have?

Janet L. Fritts
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I found out today that I, as well will be losing my attorney who is leaving the firm. Although, I am assured that another attorney will step in, I feel very shaken and disconnected because we have both put so much into this resolution. This a the most sensitive, tender time and I feel so very apprehensive. It doesnt seem quite right to go forward with someone new but I guess it happens? How do I regain my confidence for our next session which should have been our last?

Dear Allie:

Greetings. At our firm, we work in teams of attorneys. This ensures our clients that someone here always knows their situation, no matter what happens. It is true that attorneys leave firms, go on vacation, have children, and have life changing events which affect their office/practice, but at Rosen Divorce our team method ensures that the team always knows about the client’s situation and what is that client’s next step. This means that the team may change members, but the team always exists for that client.

For you, if you are with another firm, youmay want to ask to meet with the other attorneys in the firm. At our firm, you will meet with one of the other team members to ensure that you are comfortable with them and everyone is on the same strategy plan. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

Thanks Janet,

What you said was exactly what happened although I did go through a lot of personal anxiety during the transition because I wasnt at all prepared for such an occurrance. The new “team member” is most excellent but during a time of such uncertainty… new issues can really feel like a setback. Thanks again for your response.

Dear Allie:

Great! I am glad that the team was there for you. It is good to know that you have a lot of people working for you and with you, even if you cannot see their efforts. Good luck!

Janet L. Fritts
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

My attorney is moving firms. I cannot afford another retainer so I have released her as my attorney. My ex & I agreed on custody through mediation, which was ridiculous as we agreed to pretty much the same thing in our SA, but for some reason my ex would not sign it. Anyway, as I cannot afford another lawyer, I am now on my own. What do I do? Can I go through DSS for child support? I don’t receive anything from my ex & never have. What about the actual divorce? I’m so confused & lost now. Do I just let his lawyer file all the doc’s for court? I just don’t know what to do. [?]