What to do next?


Dear mc:

Greetings. If your husband has been physically violent with you, you may want to file with your local court house for domestic violence. This can be done pro se, although I do not recommend it since there is a hearing within ten (10) days of the initial filing. If the judge believes you and grants you an ex parte order on the day you file your complaint, your spouse will be ordered to remove himself from your home. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been married to my husband for 8 years come the end of this month. Last night was the last night I told him I would take his physical abuse. He said that he would not leave the house until I filed for legal seperation. He also said that he would not take me to court over custody of our 8 year old child. I told him that joint custody would be agreeable to me and he also. I am afraid however that this is too simple and worse things are yet to come. I would like to know if there is a cheaper way to file for seperation without having to go through a lawyer. I want him out of the house and he won’t leave. Thankyou for reading this email.