What to do?


Go to your DSS office and ask that the arrearage be adjudicated–in other words, a judge acknowledges the back child support, and a warrant will be issued for his arrest. If he is a sex offender and happesns to be a parolee, then he will be sent back to prison, where he belongs. If not, he will at least be arrested. Fight fire with fire–your daughter’s safety is at stake.



You are not required to have counsel to pursue custody. I would suggest that you move forward with custody without counsel unless he retains counsel. File a motion with the court and, when you are given your day in court, present a will organized presentation about why custody needs to be changed.

Good luck.

Lee S. Rosen
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Me and my x have been divorced 7 years we have a 9 yr old daughter . We have joint custody I am the primary caregiver, he has visitaion. He has become very hard to get along with recently doesnt want to work with me on anything he is over 16,000.00 behind on child support, he is trying to tell me when he will get our daughter. He is also a registered sex offender… I want to go back to court to get sole custody, but lack the funds right now , the environment that she is in when she is over at his place is not good for her in my opinion. She now comes home with an attitude she will not listen to me or her stepfather, she talks back . It states in our parenting agreement that he is to get her every other week end (no set dates) he has had her for the past 2 weekends , on account of a sickness in family i let her stay with him this last weekend now he says he wants her again this weekend and threatens to call police if i do not let her go,. What can i do???[:(]

hope whitfield