What to include in separation agreement when child will be 18 in 7 months?

Do I need to include anything about child support or visitation in a separation agreement when we are not eligible to file in NC until April 2021? Child will turn 18 in early 2021 but does not want to visit with or “hang out” with father. Since the divorce will happen after child turns 18, what can I include in separation agreement? Already living apart.

Yes, you should include custody and child support in a separation agreement for a child that will turn 18 in 7 months. However, you will want to include very liberal custody and visitation terms. You will not need a strict or specific schedule.

Child support should be calculated as normal pursuant to the NC Child Support Guidelines and child support worksheets. Child support does not end until the child has turned 18 and has graduated from high school, even though custody ends when the child turns 18.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.