When to stop paying child support

Usually, the decree will state until the child is l8 or until child finishes high school (some take longer than age l8!) Since your decree states l8, then l8 it should be. But don’t listen to me. The lawyers on here skip over many questions that I have anything to do with.

You should probably contact the attorney that handled the case originally and ask that this be specified. Normally, CS ceases at age 18 or if they are making the effort to graduate then it continues until graduation. If your child is in the early college program that some areas offer, I believe it would be age 18 because at the end of that program, they do have 1 year of college completed also. This is a fairly new program so you may need to have an attorney look at your original agreement or even contact the state office and see what they suggest.

You would not pay CS for the full 4-5 year program unless you chose to do so. If you do, I believe that you can actually begin paying the child directly at age 18…

Thanks for the info. He only has about a year and a half left in the program. He turns 18 in 2010 but won’t graduate from Early College until 2011 (assuming it’s a 5 year program) at which time he’ll have turned 19.

I’ve always been under the presumption I would pay CS until he graduated a traditional HS but this new program sort of threw me for a loop.

You can stop paying based on what it says in the order, however she may move to modify and continue support. It is likely it would continue until he gets his high school diploma.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My kids currently live in Lee County with their mom. We divorced in NC back in 99. My decree states I stop paying child support when either child is 18, gets married, joins the military or gets married. Nowhere does it state I continue paying child support until they graduate high school (which I’m presuming would be the case). However, my oldest son is in Early College and probaby isn’t going to graduate until he’s 19. Can I legally stop paying child support when he turns 18 in a little over a year (Jan 2010) or do I need to continue paying until he graduates? His school is one where he will graduate with a high school diploma and an Associates Degree. It initially was a 4 year program but according to his mom, the school has made it a 5 year program.