Wife admitted affair on video, wants ME out

Hi there. I have been living with a verbally and emotionally abusive woman for years. She has gotten physical a few times. The other night she was throwing one of her tantrums while I was in my sons room trying to get him ready for bed. I have been feeling like there was someone else for a long time. She had been denying it. Well the other night I overheard her loudly talking to her self saying that there had been someone the whole time. I had my phone video on so that I could document her if she attacked me. So I walked into the kitchen where she was standing at the sink and I asked her to repeat what she said and she did and she told me how good it was right there with me holding my phone and filming her.

She now wants me or has actually threatened me telling me that I need to go ahead and find a suitable place to live for myself. Our house was purchased during our marriage, she makes twice as much money as I do and I have always been intimidated by her. I do not want to leave this house I have a lot of blood, sweat,tears and cash put into this house.

I also do not want to lose a minute with my kids. I am the assistant coach of my older sons football team and the assistant coach of my younger son’s soccer team. they are nine and four. If I am not at work, I am here at the house with them, they Are my world

It is possible to negotiate terms of a separation (including custody, child support, alimony, and equitable distribution (property division)) while still living in the same house. This would have to be done out of court with the terms entered into a separation agreement. The physical separation would take place contemporaneously with the execution of the separation agreement.

If you and your wife cannot agree on separation terms prior to a physical separation, then one of you will have to move out and file in court.

You may be able to force a separation by filing a divorce from bed and board claim against your wife. You must have at least one fault ground to file for divorce from bed and board, and adultery is one type. For more information on this topic, check out our article What Happens in a Divorce from Bed and Board?

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.