Wife pay alimony for younger husband who refuses to work?

My husband and I have been married for almost eight years. I am the primary breadwinner. He is ten years younger and has a Duke engineering degree. He does not work and refuses to. He says that taking care of the kids is his job, even though my work is completely flexible and allows me to say home mostly (I am a professor). We have five kids, all under six years old.

If I file for a divorce, will I be obligated to pay alimony? I’ve been trying to get him to work all of this time. Also, what about child custody. I want sole custody of the children, how likely is that? And, can I move to a different state?

dr p
B very careful and b sure 2 document all U do related 2 being the primary care giver b4 separating, have a few months documented prior 2 separation. I have struggled with wife who fit same mold. I was advised 2 relocate prior 2 separating, it has proven very difficult post separation. Alimony not an issue, wife’s infidelity barred her from receiving it.
good luck

[quote=“dr. p.”]My husband and I have been married for almost eight years. I am the primary breadwinner. He is ten years younger and has a Duke engineering degree. He does not work and refuses to. He says that taking care of the kids is his job, even though my work is completely flexible and allows me to say home mostly (I am a professor). We have five kids, all under six years old.

If I file for a divorce, will I be obligated to pay alimony? I’ve been trying to get him to work all of this time. Also, what about child custody. I want sole custody of the children, how likely is that? And, can I move to a different state?[/quote]

I think you sound very self centered. Moving kids out of state and away from from a father who is active in their life is extremely unfair to the kids. It sounds like you are trying to punish him.

Your stuck in the situation that MEN are usually in. He would appear to to have a strong claim to custody. He could very well get custody and alimony and child support from you.

He could get it.

But palimony is very rare. Although there is a chance he would get custody the courts generally give custody to the mother 80% of the time. Although they give the father custody 20% of the time they only order child support in half of those cases.

I’d say good luck, but I suspect that you are in good shape to kick out the boy toy.