Wife wants Our child to have zero contact with her family

Wife’s emotional abuse over the years made me file for divorce. My in laws have been supportive and helpful of me which infuriated my wife so much so that she cut them off. In the custody agreement, she wants to include that our child have zero contact with her family because she doesn’t like them anymore. I’m thinking of my son and feel it’s unfair for him to not have a relationship with his mom’s family. I’m a permanent resident here and know no one nor do I have family here. Any advice for how to navigate this? Is best option for wife’s family to sue to be able to see our toddler? FYI, my wife is bipolar and had borderline personality disorder as well. We’re scheduled to go before Judge Rutledge in Wake county.

It would not be typical to include a provision in a custody order that the minor child have no contact with grandparents unless there was a serious safety concern regarding the grandparents.

Usually judges tend to believe that it is beneficial for a minor child to have a relationship with grandparents and other extended family, again, absent any serious safety concerns.

It is also possible for your wife’s parents’ to file as an intervenor in your custody action, which means they are seeking the court’s permission to be included as a party in your custody case and attempt to seek court ordered visitation time.

Otherwise, you will want to present evidence as to why your child’s maternal grandparents are important and beneficial to be included in your child’s life and why banning them from your child’s life would not be in your child’s best interest.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.