Withdrew his case and refilled

we have been separated since last year and he had filled for absolute divorce. I was served by the court with complaint and I replied to the complaint as well. I just found out that he has withdrew his case without my knowledge and has refilled it again week later. can he do that? Doesn’t his attorney have to notify me for the withdrawal of last case and new case?

Yes, your spouse can dismiss a court action that he filed. If so, the Notice of Voluntary Dismissal should have been mailed to you as the opposing party.

If the case was refiled under a new file number, you must be served by sheriff’s deputy, process server, or certified/registered mail.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.