Work Related Child Care

My consent order for child support calls for me to pay all work related child care for my ex-spouse. She has left the workforce and went back to school. I understand the need for childcare while attending school, which she claims is full time. She goes Monday to Thursday from 8:30 - 1:30. I am currently paying for after school child care for Mondays, Tuesdays & Fridays from 3:00 to 6:00 pm. She claims she still needs the child care so she can study as she is a full time student.

My question is should I be required to pay for work related child care for hours when she is not attending school? Especially on Fridays when she does not even have classes?

You could file for modification of your child support order. You would need to show a substantial change in circumstances, I would argue that her quitting her job to attend school full time is a substantial change in circumstances. Be careful though, as she isn’t generating income a modification may result in you having a larger support obligation. Whether your current order requires you to pay for child care while she is not in school, but studying, is a difficult question to answer. It really depends on how a judge would interpret that language and whether he or she would find these additional times reasonable.