A few legal questions

Dear BillysMom:

Greetings. If you resolve all of your marital issues, such as child custody, alimony, equitable distribution in a separation agreement which is properly executed, then all of these issues will be resolved in a legal and binding way.

Finally, I would wait the year of separation and to live in NC for six months to get the divorce. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have already paid an attorney to complete a legal separation. I am divorcing my husband due to an affair which he has continued since I left him and would like to get divorced quickly. I have recently moved from one state to NC so I am not yet a “resident” of a state just yet. I have been told that some states view a Dominican divorce as legal and was wondering if NC was one of those states? My main question/concern is, with a child involved, if I do everything (separation agreement/child custody hearing)prior to going to the DR…will everything still be held as legal and binding here? I am going after alimony and child support and just want to make sure everything he agrees to now will continue to be legal even if I am granted a divorce elsewhere.

Thanks for your help with my questions.