Bigamy

Dear newhigh15:

Greetings. What property do you own together? Are you going to seek alimony? Do you have children together?

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

quote:
Originally posted by newhigh15
I have just found out that after 4 years of being married that my husband is still married to his first wife. All 3 of us live in guilford county. My husband and I have been separated for about 5 months because we couldn't agree on my topics. I have spoken with an attorney as to how we would have to file for a divorce in the state of North Carolina. After I spoke with the attorney I contacted the Guilford County Clerk of Court to check on the status of his previous marriage. They informed me that there had not been a divorce decree in the system they did a local search and a state search. Both results came up with nothing. After I had come to grip with my new found information I contacted the attorney back. He informed me that I had to a have an anulment done. I quess my question is how do you anull something that is not legal? What steps do I need to take in order to clear my name legal from being his wife?

Joiner

We purchased a house the year after we got married but he was the only one at the closing so my name is not on the deed. I don’t want any alimony from him. And yes we do have a child but the child was 4 years old before we got married. His name is on the birth certificate because in NYC all he had to do was notarize a document to have his name place there. I have already established child support and he is already under court order to pay. This was established in August.

quote:
Originally posted by newhigh15
I have just found out that after 4 years of being married that my husband is still married to his first wife. All 3 of us live in guilford county. My husband and I have been separated for about 5 months because we couldn't agree on my topics. I have spoken with an attorney as to how we would have to file for a divorce in the state of North Carolina. After I spoke with the attorney I contacted the Guilford County Clerk of Court to check on the status of his previous marriage. They informed me that there had not been a divorce decree in the system they did a local search and a state search. Both results came up with nothing. After I had come to grip with my new found information I contacted the attorney back. He informed me that I had to a have an anulment done. I quess my question is how do you anull something that is not legal? What steps do I need to take in order to clear my name legal from being his wife?

Joiner

Dear newhigh15:

My advice is that you do not file for an annulment. Instead, I would file a claim for equitable distribution. If your spouse has committed bigamy, that is his problem. You still need your one half of the house, which is totally marital despite the fact that he purchased it in his sole name during the marriage. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have just found out that after 4 years of being married that my husband is still married to his first wife. All 3 of us live in guilford county. My husband and I have been separated for about 5 months because we couldn’t agree on my topics. I have spoken with an attorney as to how we would have to file for a divorce in the state of North Carolina. After I spoke with the attorney I contacted the Guilford County Clerk of Court to check on the status of his previous marriage. They informed me that there had not been a divorce decree in the system they did a local search and a state search. Both results came up with nothing. After I had come to grip with my new found information I contacted the attorney back. He informed me that I had to a have an anulment done. I quess my question is how do you anull something that is not legal? What steps do I need to take in order to clear my name legal from being his wife?