Abandonment, bills, house, DAUGHTER

Dear Christa:

First, let me tell you that I am sorry to hear about the terrible things your spouse has done to you and your daughter through his abandonment. Let me answer your questions as follows:

  1. Your husband does have to provide child support for your daughter, which you stated that are already working on.

  2. You do not need an attorney to file for spousal support or custody in North Carolina, but we highly recommend it. There are a number of deadlines and rules which may seriously compromise someone filing their own lawsuit.

  3. There are agencies that provide pro bono, or free, legal services and you can contact the North Carolina State Bar Association to ask for referrals. Some ways for you to finance your legal representation, which you may not have thought about, would be to place the fee on a credit card, ask friends and family for assistance, or cash in savings bonds. Depending on all the circumstances of your case, the court may be able to make an interim distribution of funds from your husband’s account(s) shortly after you file for Equitable Distribution, which could also assist you with legal fees.

Lastly, I believe that your husband’s actions during the initial separation period may constitute fault, which would affect your alimony claim.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband left Christmas day. We own our home and have a (almost) two year old daughter. I stayed at home with her and he made all the money. He left, cut my power off during a snow storm, and then cut my phone off – all while his child was in the home. Now he wants us out so he can live here. I cant afford an attorney and legal services says they cant help me. Is there not a law about abandoning a child and putting them in danger? Does he not have to provide for her or me? Do I have to have three thousand dollars for someone to help? Dont tell me to go to Social services, I have. I live in a small town with no programs. They are working on child support but that is not enough to get us a place to live. I got a part time job now but daycare costs plus it is hard on me and her (I was supposed to stay home with her for the first five years while jerk provided)It is not illegal to do this? Do I have to have a lawyer for spousal support or even to get legal custody??? HELP