Alienation of affection


Dear teresabryant:

Greetings. Yes, it is possible for your husband to move and try not to pay a judgment that is entered against him. There are many ways a judgment can be enforced though, and generally other states will enforce our orders. So, even if he flees to another state, the order can follow him.

Wage garnishment is one method of enforcing an order, but that is mainly used for child support. Yes, if he has an outstanding order it may affect his credit in the future. If he does not pay the ordered amounts, the court has the authority to hold him in contempt and order his arrest. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

  1. If my husband has an alianation of affection judgement made against him, he claims he will just move out of NC and refuse to pay. Is this possible for him to avoid payment? Will his wages be garnished if he works for a NC company? When he tries to purchase a house on credit will this judgment pop up to hurt him in the future? Are there any other ways this judgement will haunt him? Like warrant for arrest etc? He hasn’t faced the reality of his actions yet. Thank you for your prompt response.