Alimony , etc. Question

Unfortunately, without meeting with you I cannot give you a ballpark of what you should expect him to receive. I can tell you that an equitable distribution does not always mean equal. If one of you has contributed you separate assets to the marital estate the court can consider that when making a distribution of property.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Nervously waiting. I am concerned what to expect when I go to court. I have been a victim of abuse, adultery, damage to property, false police reports claiming I threatened him. Husband getting out of jail next month, after 11 months due to for what he did to me. I filed for divorce a couple of months ago. I lived in my home for 7 yrs before we married and beyond my better judgement refinanced and placed his name on the loan and deed. Between attacks, he left me quite a few messages telling me he wanted nothing to do with the house and would sign it back over to me if I just give him his furniture…I saved the messages.

The company I worked for closed down in December and I’m on unemployment. He is a licensed barber and believe it or not has learned another trade in jail (HVAC). When we go to court, do you think it likely that a judge would grant alimony to either of us. I am not expecting or want it from him, just want my house back…but as dirty as he has been playing…I see him requesting it and half of everything. We refinanced in 2004 so I don’t see much equity in the house.

What is it that he can most likely walk away with?