Rock and a Hard Place


Dear justdonald:

Greetings. If your spouse earns more than you do…then she is the supporting spouse and therefore you would normally be entitled to alimony (if you did not have affair), but no alimony for her. Now, there are a few cases where a wife/husband helped their spouse through medical school or law school…and then they may be entitled to alimony.

Yes, I would file for equitable distribution, but remember that you may have to travel back to North Carolina very often. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have been separated since October. No agreement signed numerous drafts have gone back and forth. I have moved out of state.
My ex is demanding alimony. She received the home…all furniture…all contents. I received what I could get in my car when I left and half of the credit card debt.

Ex is demanding alimony. She had higher income and more education than I. I have no money to give her alimony.

I was being physically and mentally abused (Pictures of bruising as proof)Yes, there was an extramaritial affair on my part. Does this have anything to do with her getting alimony considering I currently make approximatley $600 less per month.

Should I file for Equitable Distribution?