Alimony modification

Unfortunately, your only recourse is to file an appeal.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

In making the initial determination of alimony, the Court did not consider certain factors such as age of the dependent spouse, time out of the workforce, earning capacity of the spouses…None of the factors are in the Final Order! All the Court considered was the amount of allowance that I received from the ex during the entire marriage and this amount never changed for 20 years! The Court REFUSED to hear any evidence of the ex’s adultery! That ONE factor—the allowance— determined the rest of my life! I could not appeal as most of my assets were eaten up and the case would have returned to the same judge who refused and has refused to make ANY ruling in my favor! I’ve been told this could be “fixed” but I honestly do not have the money to fix it! I cry every day. Is there nothing I can do since the judge is going to retire shortly? Do I have no recourse whatsoever? Thanks!