Alimony termination

Dear Fred B:

Greetings. It should have terminated on her marriage to someone else if it was obtained in NC. You should retain an attorney to help you file a Motion to Dismiss. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My ex-spouse obtained perminent alimony about 15 years ago, since then she has re-married and divorced again. Is there any possibility to terminate the perminent alimony?

We were originally divorced in California, but she filed again in NC 6 months later and was awarded the alimony.

I stopped payments after she re-married (7 years ago) and when I contacted the clerk of the courts they said that all I owed was the arreages because the alimony amount was never carried forward.

What do I need to say the termination hearing? What are the chances that the judge will up hold the perminent alimony?

Thank you