First do not sign anything he or his lawyer put in front of you.
Second get a lawyer

You say your a sahm you will more then likely get some sort of support even if its not alimony there would be child support. You will also have to go back to work so start working on updating your job skills.

also do not change the locks or try to throw him out If you do you will lose the legal fight.

Also you need to get some counseling either talk to your minister or a therapist this is a big and hard time your going to go through and it will last at least the next 18 months.


Dear crabapplepie:

Greetings. First, what is a SAHM? I am assuming it is a Stay at Home Mom for my answer. Remember that alimony is first and foremost based on who is a supporting spouse and who is a depedent spouse. You sound like you are a dependent spouse, so yes, it sounds like you are a candidate for alimony. Thank you and good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

“If the court finds that a supporting spouse committed an act of illicit sexual behavior during the marriage, then the court will order the supporting spouse to pay alimony to the dependent spouse.”

I am a sahm. My husband brings home the paycheck. If he met someone last month at a class he took out of state, and stopped wearing his wedding ring, stopped wanting sex with me, said he didn’t want to make our marriage work, started having long phone conversations outside, started exercising…would I get alimony? Or would I have to somehow prove they had sex? Of course he says they’re just friends, but right after I confronted him about her is when he said he no longer wanted to be married and he continues to call her (she does live in another state).