Annulment, Bigamy and Fraud on Marriage License


I was married on 6/24/17 in Union County. My “husband” stated on the marriage license that I was his SECOND wife. We separated on 9/30/17.

After research I’ve found that I was his “third” marriage although he never divorced his second wife and had committed bigamy.

First marriage was on 6/23/2003 and was divorced in NC.
Second marriage was on 3/11/2013 in Tennessee.

Should I pursue an annulment since my marriage was void? If not, how would I change my name back to my maiden name?

Thank you!


You have a voidable marriage if he was married to someone else at the time that you and him married.

Yes, you will need to pursue an annulment in order to formally end the bigamous/voidable marriage and to be able to resume your maiden name.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.