Dear fam1957:

Greetings. No, I doubt that the marriage can be annulled. Yes, there are ways to protect his legal rights, mainly through a separation agreement. We can help draft such an agreement, but he would need to sign it with her, which it sounds like he is unwilling to do. I honestly hope that she does not give him a lot of heartache while he is away. At a minimum, tell him to video tape the entire contents of the marital residence before he leaves and to have his pay deposited into an account with his and your name on it. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Thank you! We will continue to pray all is taken care of.

Sylvia Hernandez


My son is a USM and soon to deploy to Iraq (2nd Tour). He met a girl whom he dated for 2 months and rushed into marriage. She has an 11 month old son from a previous relationship. She plays mind games with him, tells him she doesn’t really love him, she’s with him because she cares for him but not in love. She was basically homeless when they met, he supports her, given her his car, cell phone, home and takes care of her and her son financially and in every way. He thinks he’s in love with her, I don’t know. We as his parents are concerend that she married him for convenience, a place to live, all he can give her and her son, since the child’s father wants nothing to do with him. Can this marriage be anulled? If not, and they have to wait a year is there a way he doesn’t have to provide for her and does she have legal rights to benefits especially if he is going to war? What do you recommend.Concerned parents.
Thank you

Sylvia Hernandez