AoA/CC questions

For AoA, an atty will typically need a $60,000 retainer from you before initiating any legal action.

Really, $60,000! That sounds pretty steep. Why don’t they just take a percentage of the award like other lawsuits? Does this pertain to Criminal Conversation as well?

And does this information come from an attorney or did you have to pay this kind of money?

Thanks
!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by beachlover[/i] [br]For AoA, an atty will typically need a $60,000 retainer from you before initiating any legal action.

The $60,000 figure comes from past posts by the atty’s from this website. They have also stated that they do not know any law firms that will take and AoA case on contingency.

Grendal:

I have a friend in this situation (different city though) and she was asked for a $5000.00 retainer with increments of $2500.00 if it went to court. Rarely, does an AofA or CC go to court. Judges don’t want to see them and they frown upon them wasting court time. Unless you’re looking at a high profile case (where YOU or your Paramour make bunches of money), then most likely it will be settled out of court.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by needinganswers[/i] [br]Grendal:

I have a friend in this situation (different city though) and she was asked for a $5000.00 retainer with increments of $2500.00 if it went to court. Rarely, does an AofA or CC go to court. Judges don’t want to see them and they frown upon them wasting court time. Unless you’re looking at a high profile case (where YOU or your Paramour make bunches of money), then most likely it will be settled out of court.

SORRY…I meant SHE or her Paramour. It sounds as if you are the one seeking the suit. Please think about the suit too. If you’re going to pay out the retainer, be sure you want to go through the legal process needed for the end result you’re looking for. If it’s money-you very well may NOT get what you put out in legal fees. Your private life will be out on a cutting board and you’ll just have to re-live the hurt you’ve already gone through. I have heard of cases that have gone to court and puntive damages have been found for $1.00. Make sure you have SOLID evidence of your claims.

Thanks for these answers, they are very helpful. I must say I generally agree that these suits are silly. The person being sued in these cases is not the one who broke a promise.

It’s the cheating spouse who should be sued.

Generally it costs $60,000 to litigate a case for Alienation of Affection from beginning to end.

Yes, you can use emails provided to you by your ex Wife against the third party.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Where do you all get these figures from ? look for an attorny who beleives in the law and defends this law … If the attorny waffles about the law then call the next attorny I suggest everyone who has been hurt by adultry visit this link stolenspouse.com/
Take a moment look over this website they have been very good and understanding on these matters from my experience, It takes a long time due to the consent lies and deciet that is drived directly from the affair that continue as some people feel they are justified in thier actions and refuse to assume any respponsibility for thier actions which are so harmful to others GOOD LUCK

For clarification the cost can be enormouse, but finding the right attorny who beleives in this law is the key…

I have a couple questions regarding a possible Alienation of Affection/Criminal Conversation suit I hope you could answer:

1. If my divorce is already complete, what does it cost to bring this to trial? Is it done as a flat or hourly rate or is the attorney paid as a percentage of the award?

2. Can I use proof (emails, etc.) that my ex-wife provides to me against the third-party?

Thank you for your help in this.