AA and CC


Dear dumbdecision:

Greetings. First, call her attorney and ask them what they will settle for. Even if you have to make payments, this will be your best option.

No, there is no cheap legal services out there and I am amazed that you found anyone that would take a retainer less than $5,000.00 for an AoA and CC case … as these are jury trials in Superior Court when filed properly. Before you rail against attorneys and their fees, remember that there are at our firm we do pro bono federal kidnapping cases and other firms do other work pro bono, but that we still have to pay to keep the doors open - and the costs just to “be” an attorney are very high.

Finally, you will want to answer with a defense if you are forced to answer. The defense is normally that you did not destroy the natural love and affection in the marriage. I am sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, but I do wish you the best. Please let us know how things are going as you work on settling your case.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I was served with AOA and CC papers. Long story short. Had an affair with gentleman two years ago. His wife recently left filed for divorce for adultry. My problem is the following. I have nothing, no personal property, savings, retirement, nothing … credit shot from recent divorce. Every lawyer I have talked to is asking for a huge amount for retainer fee, in excess of 1500.00. I live pay check to pay check, baby to support with no child support coming in, Child enforcement working on that issue. Called Bar Assoc, gave me number for lawyer. Called lawyer, high dollar retainer. What do I do ? Is there something in the state of NC that would help me ? I now have 23 days to reply to this. I don’t know what to do ? Help !!!