Aoa

Me again. I would also like to add that her soon to be ex also currently has a new girlfriend with whom he spends lots of time with.So much that he does things with her and his son at the same time.Not sure if that will help her or not.

I’m not overly concerned with me.Like I mentioned I did not cause their marriage to fail nor did I take away any affection since it was non existent.What I want is the best for her.I told her in our last convo that she should seek a good attorney,but she really can not afford one.I do not want to get invovled since I’m not really in the picture.Just someone for her to talk to once in a while.

Seems to be with a PI she could have a case against his new gf

Dear Scott J:

Greetings. You may be sued, if you contacted her here in NC. The lawsuit applies equally to men and women, so no real “property” issue, although many (not myself) share your beliefs. I personally like the law because it promotes marriage and forces honesty - making someone leave rather than have sex with someone while they are still married.

Also, if the marriage was as you said, you have a defense to AOA. Finally, your friend can obtain a third party waiver in her separation agreement which would nullify the effects of AOA against you. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks for your time and reply Jane.Yes,the marriage was just as I stated.
I’m also for true honest marriages,I really am.My complaint with this law centers around it’s open door for abuse and ability to be used as revenge or even worse yet could be used as plot against well off individuals.
The law,in my opinion,has it’s place,but should center and hold blame to those that took the vows in the first place.I find it equally sad that one can not state that the spouse claimed,in fact,that they were not married. Ex: I am told she is not married,we engage in intimate relations,week later I find out she is married,I then am held accountable for my actions which at the time were honarable and within the law of NC.[:(!]

One will never get me to believe that a true heart can be swayed.Husband & wife made a commitment to one another.Husband or wife should be held accountable.

Thanks again Jane for your time.I have learned a ton thus far.Even though the info doesn’t relate to my home state it has been an educational journey into a law I never even knew existed,sadly I wished I had.[:(]

Thanks for your time and reply Jane.Yes,the marriage was just as I stated.

I’m also for true honest marriages,I really am.My complaint with this law centers around it’s open door for abuse and ability to be used as revenge or even worse yet could be used as plot against well off individuals.

The law,in my opinion,has it’s place,but should center and hold blame to those that took the vows in the first place.I find it equally sad that one can not state that the spouse claimed,in fact,that they were not married. Ex: I am told she is not married,we engage in intimate relations,week later I find out she is married,I then am held accountable for my actions which at the time were honarable and within the law of NC.[:(!]

One will never get me to believe that a true heart can be swayed.Husband & wife made a commitment to one another.Husband or wife should be held accountable.

Thanks again Jane for your time.I have learned a ton thus far.Even though the info doesn’t relate to my home state it has been an educational journey into a law I never even knew existed,sadly I wished I had.[:(]

I’ll make this short as possible.I had an affair with a lady that lives in NC.The affair took place in another state.I live several hundred miles from NC.The ladies marriage was over long before we had an affair.Her husband and her had intimate relations maybe once in at least the year leading up to our affair.They also slept in separate beds.It was one of them stay together for the child type marriages that ended up not working.She has since moved out,over a year ago, are they are now in the process of working out the divorce.I in NO way caused their marriage to end.I have no contacts in NC outside of this lady.She is out on her own and living her life as a single mother.I am proud of her for taking the steps that most women do not have the courage to take.She is happy we stay in contact maybe 5 minutes a week we talk.We have not seen each other in months.She did not leave her husband for me in any way.She left because their marriage consisted of her and her child and was never a family type atmosphere.

My question is.Is there any chance I can get sued for AOA? Not that it may matter,but I live in a state that does not honor this law.I have never met her in NC.When she was contemplating leaving I advised her to make sure she was leaving for the right reasons.She said she believe it was in her and her sons best interest and had nothing at all to do with me.

Having asked my question.It has been over a year since they separated is it ok if we still communicate?

I do not agree with this law in the least bit.Makes me think that one should be able to sue if your spouse leaves you for a wealthier person “richer or poorer” or it the marriage fails in general “til death do us part”.

A woman is no ones property and that is what it seems this law defends,to some degree.If a woman comes to me that is being abused by her husband I’ll tell her to leave and not be concerened about AOA suit.Though it seems ludicrous that I could be sued for it in some states.

Thanks for your time and reply as well as maintaining such an informative site.I read all 118 pages before posting.