You would have to continue paying the $400 until a motion is filed for child support to cease due to the child reaching 18 or graduating. After the support is stopped you would have to continue paying the $100 until the back support amount is paid in full.

When child support terminates you would continue to pay only the arrearage, until the entire arrearage has been satisfied.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

If you are paying support and arrearage accures, do you have to pay the total amount or just the court order arrearage amount after the child graduates? For example, the CS is 300.00 a month with a court order for arrearage of 100.00 a month. Do you have to continue paying 400.00 after the child graduates or just 100.00 until the arrearage is fully paid?