As defendant, do I need to go to the courthouse?

Husband and I are just getting an absolute divorce in Mecklenburg County, no property or children to fight over. I’m the defendant in this case.

I was told that I don’t have to file an answer if I agreed with everything on the paperwork, and that I don’t have to go to the hearing. Is this true?

Is there any way that I could be stuck with the fees for the divorce by not showing up?

And how soon after the court grants the divorce can I go change my name? Can I do it the same day if I go to the courthouse afterwards?

Thank you

You do not have to answer the complaint if you agree with everything in it and do not want to file any counterclaims. You can get your name changed on the same day, but uncontested divorces are usually done without any parties present in Mecklenburg County now so you may not know the day the divorce is granted.