At witts end!

“my husband has not kept his word to our verbal agreements set in the lawyers office.”

Mistake #1: Verbal agreements can not be trusted OR enforced.

Make a claim for child support via Child Support Enforcement Agency.

If you have no agreement or order concerning child support or visitation, then you have nothing to enforce.

You may have an alimony claim too…especially if he’s cohabitating. Also AofA and CC if you want to pursue that avenue (very costly).

You need to find some way to get a new lawyer. You may be able to get him to pay attorney fees, but you need to come up with a consultation fee and talk to a new lawyer.

BUT get the child support thing going ASAP. You don’t need a lawyer for that.

You can get child support by contacting child support enforcement and they will pursue the collection of child support on your behalf. You should also contact your attorney and find out the status of your representation.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

It’s been 10 months. My husband securred his lawyer and pd cash, best in Greensboro so everyone tells me. I have a lawyer, which I hv not pd and nothing has been accomplished. My husband has not kept his word to our verbal agreements set in the lawyers office. He filed taxes behind my back and claimed all 3 of our children. Has not turned over there stimulis checks and was supposed to go back and have taxes ammended with me per lawyers request and has not done so. I have not recieved 1 penny since December 07. He was suppose to be paying the house and car payment, that was the arrangement as far as child support went, however I just found out he has not been paying the car payment and has not had insurance on it since December. I tried to get a dupilicate registration on the car and the dmv said there was a hearing pending on it and the tags and registration were now out!! Who knows if the house is even being paid. I have no money for a new attorney. I have yet to file my taxes and recieve my stimulis check. I am supporting myself and my 3 children on my pt job and I dont know what I can do. Is there any releif in sight for me and when, will my husband be made to be accountable for his actions? He is the one who had the affair and abbandoned his family and moved right in with the other woman. I have accepeted that but he will not allow me to move on. He does not see our children anymore. Thank You, There is more but…gotta go.