Belongings left behind

Can I leave my personal belongings in the house until closer to the time of divorce? Spouse asked that I remove my things because “cannot provide storage”. I don’t have a place to store them for now. How long do I have legally to move my things out?

You can leave your things at the marital residence but it can make it harder to get your things back when you’re ready and you run the risk of your spouse damaging them or disposing of them.

There is no set time period for how long you have to move your personal property items out of the marital residence. But the best practice is the sooner after the date of separation that you can get your items in your possession, the better.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.