Bigamy? Or not?

If your Husband has a marriage that is recognized in Peru, then he is committing bigamy. I cannot tell you if the relationship in Peru has become a marriage, you will need to consult with a legal official in that country.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Voice: 704.307.4600
Main Fax: 704.943.0044

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you Ms.Nevicosi for your timely response to this issue.If indeed,bigamy is the case,would that make my marriage null and void?

Your marriage would be null and void. However, if you entered into your marriage in good faith believing it was valid, the court may still offer you some legal protections when it comes to property that was accumulated during the time that you thought the marriage was valid.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Again,I thank you Ms Nevicosi,for responding to my questions.I Appreciate it.There should be no question of devided property since the only contribution from him was debt which he left me with.My home was in my name prior to our marriage.Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.And Yes,I did enter into this marriage believing that I was his only “interest”.

I wish you the best of luck.

Helena M. Nevicosi

919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262

Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

My husband is from Lima,Peru.We married 6 yrs ago.He needed his residency papers which we filed.He has since gained his green card.This was okay with me because at the time I absolutely adored him.(Um…hm,seeing much more clearly these days).Two months later,I found out he has the mother of his child living with his parents.He was supporting her and the daughter.They didnt marry in a church,but they’d been together for 6 or 7 years,started a family together and technically lived as man and wife.To me he is still committed(married)to this woman,supporting her by sending money for living expenses(married)and education for her and his daughter.I booted him out because I believe he is a bigamist and I refuse to be with a man who is commited to another woman.I have been told that in Peru,one may be married to another through the commitment,without benifit of a certificate or ceremony. However,if that is the case,is that marriage recognised in the United States?Is he indeed a bigamist,or am I simply trying to validate my reasons for wanting to obtain a divorce?

Deborah Jeanne Lee