Can he use these?

Dear almostdone:

Greetings. Yes, it is legal for your husband to go through your belongings. Sure, he can use the tapes, but if you are a different person now, then you are a different person. Good luck, and stop worrying about it! Just be a good mother and everything will take car eof itself. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I was living in another state w/in-laws. While on a vacation trip to nc my ex put in a motion for emergency and temp custody(saying I was starving our son. This was proven untrue and the judge threw it out immediately. But, this included a restraining order to stay in nc until we had court. After court (and my ex’s lies being proven)My in-laws then notified me I was no longer welcome in their home.(obviously ALL of my belongings were still in their home) They sent EVERYTHING i own to my ex instead of me. My ex decided to go through everything i have ever had, and found diaries and videotapes of me from over 7 years ago. Is it legal for him to search through all of my most personal belongings?? this was when my daughter(not his) was a baby and back then I was a teen and he has a video of me smoking ciggerettes with my daughter in the same room, and alot of my friends in and out of the house.

I dont even live in the same state the video was taken, nor would I ever smoke inside my house anymore…(not an excuse, but I was a teen!!!) but he says he is going to use the tapes as evidence to attempt to get custody of our son. He say it shows the type of mother I was. Can he use these tapes against me??