Can't Afford Legal Fees...feeling cornered


Dear claytonlady2004:

Greetings. First, just because you share equal time with your children does not mean that he will not pay you child support. Go to our child support calculator and see what it will be. If you are due some funds, then go to child support enforcement and they can help you obtain the funds from him.

No, you may not be able to “afford” an attorney, almost no one can. But you also cannot afford not to retain an attorney. Go to credit cards, aunts, uncles, savings, loans on your retirement, anywhere to afford the funds now. If you get good legal advice and help, they may be able to have him retroactively pay your attorney fees. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I realize I need a lawyer. My ex calls and leaves at least one message a day telling me his expectations and threats of what he will do if I don’t do as he asked. I am struggling financially, he pays no support. We did our own separation agreement, however child support wasn’t determined because we have joint custody. He makes twice what I do, and I work two jobs to make ends meet, and I struggle to do this.

How do I even go to see a decent lawyer when I can barely afford groceries? I am worn out because I don’t get a day where I am not working. I feel like I have cornered myself.

Between e-mails, voicemails on car and home I am not comfortable in dealing with him on divorce issues. I’d rather have each of us with lawyers and negotiate our divorce this way. But I cannot afford one.