Cannot afford a divorce lawyer

Dear Quiltingfriend:

Greetings. No, the court will not appoint an attorney in a divorce case. It is only “criminal” matters that attorneys are appointed in. The state does not offer any resources for people who cannot afford an attorney in North Carolina. You can check with legal services, but they do not normally handle domestic matters.

Now, the only other thing I can tell you, is that some people fund their initial reputation with credit cards. Although this is not a great way to fund your legal fees, this is a crisis and may be your only resort. Best of luck…and sorry to hear about your disability.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I cannot afford to hire a lawyer for my divorce. I know in many cases the court will appoint you a lawyer. Do they do this in divorce cases? If they do not, what resources does the state offer for people who cannot afford a lawyer?

My wife who left me taking our children will not agree to handle our divorce without going through the court systems. I am disabled, waiting to be placed on disability. So far my wife has taken all our money out of our bank account, refuses to let me see my children and has taken everything out of the house. Since I am disabled my doctors will not release me so I can work this is why I have had to apply for disability.

I feel I need a lawyer to represent me, my wife has already hired an attorney. I have contacted legal aide but they stated unless I was requesting custody of my children they could not help me.

Please advise me on what I can do to get legal representation.

Thank you,
Jimmy H.