Change of Custody

Is there any way to file for change of custody without an attorney? I called the Clerk of Court’s office, and they said to get an attorney, but we can’t afford one. My husband’s son is failing 6th grade, has missed 19 days of school, and is morbidly obese. We need to get him over with us so he has a chance.
Any advice would be appreciated.

mathkittycat - I am right there with you…my husband and I are in this same situation with his son… he is 12 years old - in fifth grade and failing and is over weight for his age 191 lbs…he has missed 16 days of school so far and has been tardy several times…I am also looking for any advice. We have talked with teachers at his school but we can only do so much from where we live…we live 2 counties apart. We have even got the child in an afterschool program that we thought would help him but he has been in it for 2 months and we don’t see any improvement…His problems are Math and Language arts…he grades dropped in both of these subjects. He overall is not completing his work and class work and homework. We think the bottom of the problems start at home.

You will need to file a motion to modify custody. These motions must be based on a substantial change in circumstances which affect the welfare of the child. It seems as though both of you have solid cases to move forward.
I too recommend that you retain attorneys to get through this process as it can be difficult to navigate the system on your own. You may even be entitled to reimbursement for your attorney’s fees from the other parent.