Custody Issues!

I need to know what I can do to get custody of my son!!! I do not have the money for an attorney but I would like to know where I can get information for filing a petition by myself. My son is being kept out of school for whatever reason and I do not what him to go down the wrong road. I work in a Prison and I see what can happen. PLEASE DIRECT ME IN THE RIGHT WAY!!!

If there is a custody order in place you will need to file a motion to modify custody based on a substantial change in circumstances (your ex’s decision not to send your child to school). If there is no order in place you will need to file an original action for custody.

There are many steps involved in the process of litigating custody, including discovery of information, depositions and other trial preparation. Many counties have self serve clinics which may have the form documents needed to initiate the action, but they are no substitute for the advice and guidance of an attorney. You may want to consider contacting legal aid in your county to see if you qualify for assistance.