Changing existing CS


Got laid off from my job and now collect unemployment while looking for new work. I can’t afford my current payments. Can I refile? If yes, how do I file a change? What do I need to show as evidence? How backed up are the courts (how long until I get heard)?


You will need to file a motion to modify child support. In order to move forward with such a motion you must prove that a substantial change in circumstances. Being laid off would certainly suffice. You will need to show proof of your termination, current income, and many judges will ask to see proof that you are looking for a new job now.

The length of time before you get heard, it depends on the county you are in, and the current case load the court is dealing with. Typically I would say a temporary hearing could be had in most counties in about 1.5 to 3 months.