Child Refuses to see other parent

What do you do when a child refuses to spend time with the other parent?Physically refuses to leave. Also would this have bearing on who is awarded custody.

A child does not get to make custody and visitation decisions. It is up to the parent to ensure compliance with a custody court order. However, it can be difficult if not impossible to force older children, particularly teenagers, into visiting with the other parent. In that case, the custodial parent at the time should regularly encourage the child to visit, not disparage the other parent, and make the child available for the scheduled custodial/visitation times. Sometimes having a therapist for the child can be helpful with this.

Depending on the underlying reasons as to why the child refuses to spend time with the other parent, then it could affect how custody is awarded.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.