Child Support and Active Duty


Dear winkjr2u:

Greetings. I think you could have filed a motion to reset your child support when you were laid off, and I definitely think that you can ask for it to be reset now. You can contact the child support enforcement agency where you live (in your county) and they can change the amount regardless of the contract. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


Hi Janet,

Thanks for the quick reply. From your message it is my understanding that I can have my “Child Support” reduced. However, I am a bit confused. Would the reduction be based on my Military Status, or on my recent layoff. I was once told that because we did not have our child support awarded by the court, that it is considered a private contract between me and my ex-wife and it would be very difficult to change. Is this not the case?

I appreciate your help, you are very helpful and this is such a great avenue for people like me to get the correct info regarding sensitive issues such as “Child Support”…